Friday, April 27, 2007

Woody Allen on Dealing with Differences

When Woody Allen was talking about his 11 year marriage with Mia Farrow he reflected on the challenge of seeking to manage their many differences:

“She doesn’t like the city and I adore the city. She loves the country and I don’t love the country. She doesn’t like sports at all and I love sports. She can’t sleep with the air-conditioner on. I can only sleep with the air-conditioner on. She loves pets and animals. I hate pets and animals. She would love to take a boat down the Amazon or go up to Mt Kilimanjaro. I never want to go near those places. She has an optimistic yeah feeling toward life and I have a totally pessimistic negative feeling. She has raised nine children now with no trauma and has never owned a thermometer. I take my temperature every two hours.”

No wonder they came to live in separate apartments that faced each other across Central Park in New York.

Geoff Pound

Image: Woody Allen and Mia Farrow