Friday, October 12, 2007

Eric Clapton: Creativity out of the Crucible of Suffering

Eric Clapton’s new book, ‘Clapton: The Autobiography’, is a warts and all account of the author’s rollercoaster ride to rock and rock divinity and his decline into drug-taking decadence and darkness.

It is fascinating to see the way that Clapton’s songs were often written when he was in the pits. Like the song Layla (written by Clapton and Jim Gordon). The musician had fallen for a woman by the name of Pattie Boyd. The only trouble was that Pattie was the wife of the Beatle, George Harrison. Clapton said, “I also coveted Pattie because she belonged to a powerful man who seemed to have everything I wanted—amazing cars, an incredible career, and a beautiful wife.” His dilemma inspired the song ‘Layla’. These words take on a new meaning with the background information supplied:

What’ll you do when you get lonely
No one waiting by your side?
You’ve been running and hiding much too long.
You know it's just your foolish pride.

Layla, you’ve got me on my knees.
Layla, I’m begging, darling please.
Layla, darling wont you ease my worried mind.

After getting in the grip of heroin and drinking heavily Clapton descended to the depths when his four year old son, Conor, fell to his death from an apartment building. This incident, however, marked a spiritual awakening and this song that honours the memory of his son:

Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?
Would you feel the same if I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on
'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven...

Would you hold my hand if I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand if I saw you in heaven?
I'll find my way through night and day
'Cause I know I just can't stay here in heaven...

Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees
Time can break your heart, have you begging please..
Beyond the door
there's peace I'm sure
And I know there'll be no more tears in heaven....

Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?
Would you feel the same if I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on
'Cause I know I don't belong here in heaven...

Reflecting on the creative seasons as well as the dark periods of his life, Eric Clapton writes about the role of music to lift him and bring peace: “For me, the most trustworthy vehicle for spirituality has always proven to be music.”

Source: Eric Clapton, Clapton: The Autobiography (London: Century, 2007).

Image: Clapton on his cover.