Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cultivating the Observant Eye

Christopher Boone is 15 years old with Asperger’s Syndrome. He tells a riveting mystery story that begins with the puzzle of a dog that he finds murdered at the end of his street.

About mystery, detectives and an important quality in life, he writes:

‘I also like The Hound of the Baskervilles because I like Sherlock Holmes and I think that if I were a proper detective, he is the kind of detective I would be. He is very intelligent and he solves the mystery and he says:

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.”

But he notices them, like I do.’

Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (London: Vintage, 2004), 92.

Image: Basil Rathbone playing Sherlock Holmes in the BBC rendition of The Hound of the Baskervilles.