Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Teaching People How to Live

The Jewish novelist Chaim Potok said that from a very early age he always had wanted to become a writer. But when he went to University his mother said:

“Chaim, I know you want to be a writer but I have a better idea. Why don't you become a brain surgeon? You'll keep a lot of people from dying; and you'll make a lot of money.”

Chaim replied, "No, mama. I want to be a writer."

This conversation was rehearsed each vacation and every time it would go the same:
“Chaim, I know you want to be a writer, but listen to your mama. Be a brain surgeon. You'll keep a lot of people from dying; You'll make a lot of money."
Each time Chaim would reply: "No, Mama, I want to be a writer."

These exchanges continued until finally his mother exploded:
“Chaim, you are wasting your time! Be a brain surgeon. You'll keep a lot of people from dying; You'll make a lot of money."

Chaim angrily replied:
"Mama, I don't want to keep people from dying! I want to show people how to live!!"

Geoff Pound

Image: Chaim Potok